Let us think about the cost of having a car in London by using a real example:
- The car owner lives in zone 5 area.
- A medium size engine used car of around 50000 miles cost around £2000 (1.5L engine),
- A driver with a driving licence of more than 10 years with no claim bonus:
Insurance cost: £1000 meaning £83 per month
Note that if you do not drive a car for more than 2 years, you will lose the no-claim bonus in the UK.
- Home work distance: 25 miles x 2, cost of petrol apprx £160 per month.
- Car service: 2 per year: £80 x 2 = £160
- Changing or replacing worn parts per year: £200
- Average of £113 per month running the car without petrol cost,
I do not include any London congestion charge or renting any parking space.
Think twice before you make an decision as cycling and public transport might be a better idea.
I can see commuters using the folding bicycles where one can find good ones for less than £150 .
There are a lot of options available now, from renting a car up to combining several transport means including walking.
ADs: Earn cash for your online activity: visiting websites, watching videos, and more